Feb 29, 2008

BeatDown!: Characters



















At this project, my responsibility was "rebuilding of character's quolity".

When I joined the team, the title was already in the middle of process.
And the director needed to change all character's proportion firstly.
Because for his eyes, they were looked like "Japanese" in generally.
So firstly I changed their proportion into "Westerner" like, and designed 3 basic proportion, Big guy, Midium guy and Fimale.

Secondly I started to design them, I could have "script" of in game story, so I imagined their "looks" from it.
But at time wise, it was super tight. I upped few of my original drawings, actually they looks cheap but I drew them 1 character in 1 day each. Concepts was much more important than each quality, at that point.
In average I produced each of characters with 1 month, from concept design to finish the models with skinning and facial morph targets(with Softimage!).

And also, they had “injury expression system” at faces and upper body with separated complicated UV coordinate system. I never want to do same thing in Softimage again that was crap…with XSI would be OK to do it.

No comments: