Jul 7, 2009

Watchmen: The End is Nigh

He is an in-game model.
These images were captured from real time game engine.




He is one of the main character of Warner Brothers Games "Watchmen: The End is Nigh", "NiteOwl".

This project was packed with the movie, and released before the movie, from Warner Bros.

NiteOwl (one of the main player character of this title)

8,992 polygons (Triangle)
Textures
2048*2048 x2(Head to body, Cape)
1024*256 x1(Belt)

They have Diffuse, Specular, Normal textures.
The textures were made with maximum size firstly, after that they were changed into suitable/necessary size( half to quarter size).
Only for PR visual works, they were used with original resolution.


I made a basic "Hi-res" model in “modo” with Sub-surface modeling technique.
I thought, instead of using ZBrush modo was better to give "solid-layered structure having costume".
I gave the layers very carefully with actual geometry, except "scales", then I brought the "freezed high poly model" into 3ds.
And then, I gave scales with Bump Mapping with Material setting at specific surfaces.
At the end, I baked Normal map with it, then the normal map was generated very cleanly in one time.
Just at the skin part of his face, I used ZBrush.

On the "Grappling-Gun", I used same pipeline except ZBrush process.






Disk-in-Tray image


On the image above, I didn't make Rorschach.
What I did is "posing, placing, framing, lighting and capturing"

to have cool pictures for game interface.




Enemies






They were called “Bikers” in this project.
Actually they are first enemies in this game, in production wise and also level wise, both.
When the “easy variants generating system” was proved with them (Warner people could be very happy with the variations of them,) then we decided to use same way for other enemies.



They are called "Knot-Tops" in our project, because of thier hair style. They are baced on characters in original Watchmen comics, so DC and Warner people really wanted to have them in game.


They are called "dominatrix", simply. They also had similer system with Knot-Tops and Bikers.

For this project, I made a lot of "enemy character" models other than main characters.
Like Knot-Tops, Bikers and Dominatrixes.

At quality wise, off course "unique main class characters" looks much nicer than "enemy characters".
But technically, giving enemy characters in game were much tougher.
Because of to reduce production time, we needed to have “easy variants generate system” for enemy characters.

They were built separately at each body part, for instance arms, torso, lower body…And they can swap very easily in game engine, and we could save the variants.
For it, every part should be connected each other naturally, and needed to be "weighted" carefully too. Otherwise, each parts makes big gap between them. I used easy way to manage this.
And I gave “facial animation system with skeleton” for all of characters in game.

3 comments:

橋本耕二 said...

Thanks Ryan, I really appreciate on your positive comments!

Alexandre said...

I'm a big Watchmen fan, but only recently bought this game for PC. I was trying to find information about the making of this game. Glad I found your blog. Amazing work, and thanks for the insights.

NNin said...

You made one of the female enemies in the game. I quite like them, especially the blonde dominatrix XD

Keep up the good work!